- Eileen and Dogs -a terrific site for all people with dogs. Eileen is a gifted trainer, who writes thoughtful blogs on issues we all have with our dogs. She also posts great videos showing her training dogs, including problems and mistakes…this is an excellent resource.
- iSpeakDog – Everything about understanding dogs in general, and your dog in particular. One of the best sources of information around.
- Training Positive – A great resource for articles and videos about positive based dog training. The tutorials are excellent.
- Dogstar Daily-site by renowned trainer Ian Dunbar, full of great information for dog guardians.
Videos and Video Tutorials
- If you are only going to watch or read one source on training, make it this one. Jean Donaldson’s brilliant video tutorial Train Your Dog Like a Pro is broken into different behaviors, so it is five classes in one. You get a world class trainer privately, in your home, teaching you all the basics! **If you are adopting a dog from us, your dog or puppy will already have a big head start on these behaviors, and this is the system we use to train them.
- Training Positive – This YouTube channel has videos on all aspects of positive training.
- Dogmantics.com – A collection of excellent training videos.
- Why to use food to train? | Training Positive -Food works!
- Kikopup – Emily Larlham is a gifted trainer with a great series of video tutorials to help you train your dog positively.
- How Fido Learns | Classical and Operant Conditioning – This video offers some tips on training theory.
- Polite Leash Walking with high rate of reinforcement video tutorials (Helix Fairweather method), Video 1, Video 2, Video 3
- Doggy Geeks University-Fantastic, affordable online courses from credentialed professional trainers and educators covering house-training, reactivity, dental care, basic manners, recall (for a meatball!), teenage dogs, and more.
So You are Adopting a Puppy!
- Puppy Socialization Checkhttps://drsophiayin.com/app/uploads/2015/12/Socialization_Checklist.pdflist–This is an indispensable list by Dr. Sophia Yin for puppy owners-a must read, and it is FREE!
- Housetraining 123 is an excellent webinar to help you with house training your puppy. This 60 minute webinar outlines a four week plan to humanely and effectively house train your puppy or dog. The plan is clear and easy to follow and understand. If you follow it exactly, your dog or pup should be house trained in three to four weeks. It costs $25, and is well worth the investment. Recommended by master trainer Jean Donaldson and by us!
- How NOT to socialize your dog or puppy Part One-part one and Part Two.
- Raising Puppies and Kids Together by Pia Silvani
- 100 + things to Include in Puppy Socialization; a checklist (and not just for Service Dog candidates. This is great for EVERY puppy!)
- Adding a new puppy when you have another dog. A great post by Eileen Anderson on safely introducing a puppy to your older dog.
Kids and Dogs: Information for Families
Kids and dogs. Magic, right? Well it can be. But sometimes things go wrong. Did you know that 77% of dog bites come from the family dog or a friend’s dog? These numbers could be reduced dramatically with a tiny bit of education and preparation.
Before adding a canine member to your family (or adding a human little one to your canine crew), please take some time
The Family Dog has some really great videos for kids of all ages. Catchy tunes, memorable lyrics, and safety messages for children that will keep them and the dog safe and best friends.
Doggone Safe has some excellent resources to help your children become “dog detectives” and help them interpret a dog’s body language to decide whether or not the dog wants to interact. This site also has great tips for preparing Fido for the arrival of a new little human family member. Dogs need preparation for babies, too!
Dog Body Language
Posts and Videos by Eileen Anderson
Fear Free Pets Body Language Guide
Click on the links below to order our favorite titles. If you order on Amazon, please sure Amazon Smile and be sure to select Guatemala United for Animals, Inc as your preferred non-profit and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase to us.
Dogs and Dog Training
Books on General Training:
- Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
- Brain Games For Dogs: Fun Ways to Build a Strong Bond with Your Dog and Provide It with Vital Mental Stimulation by Claire Arrowsmith (this book is especially great for children-but adults love it, too!)
- Train Your Dog Like a Pro by Jean Donaldson
- Training Levels: Steps to Success by Sue Ailsby
Understanding Your Dog; Books about Dog Behaviour and Cognition
- Wag; The Science of Making Your Dog Happy by Zazie Todd
- Our Dogs, Ourselves by Alexandra Horowitz
- Being a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz
- Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz
- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell
- Decoding your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones by American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
- Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Reaching The Animal Mind by Karen Pryor
- Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz
- What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs by Cat Warren
Problem Behaviours and Training Help
- Dogs in Need of Space (DINO’s) Blog is a great resource for any of you who have a dog who is reactive in any way. LOTS of great information here folks!
- CARE (Counterconditioning And +Reinforcement are Essential) is a treatment protocol for Fearful and Reactive dogs. Followed carefully, it is an effective program to reduce or eliminate reactivity in your dog.
- Help for separation anxiety from expert Julie Naismith of SubThreshold Training and her fantastic book, Be Right Back
- When Pigs Fly! Training Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion
- Agility Right From the Start by Eva Bertilsson and Emelie Johnson Vegh
- Smellorama: Nose Games for Dogs by Vivian Theby
Blogs and Articles
- “What to expect when expecting a puppy” | Training Positive – A must read!
- “What is Positive Reinforcement in Dog Training?” by Zazie Todd, Ph D. – an easy-to-understand article on how best to reinforce your dog during training.
- “Why train positively?” | Training Positive
- Operant Learning Illustrated by Examples -A clear explanation of the principles of training and learning
- My Dogs Get to Sit -“Cues” vs. “Commands “-It’s all in a word
Choosing Gear and Training Tools-Recommended Reading
- Which Types of Collars and Harnesses are Safe for Your Dog? Dr. Yin ‘s blog is excellent and explains the different options in collars and harnesses for dogs, as well as their pros and cons.
- Choosing a Harness-a Review of Different Models by Pat Miller